Well deja brew, it’s International Coffee Day!
Although every day feels like coffee day for us coffee lovers, International Coffee Day is a brewtastic Obscure Holiday occasion where the entire world can come together and celebrate the thing that makes the world go round … coffee!
All jokes aside, and we’ll try to limit our coffee puns, International Coffee Day is the perfect day for a cup of joe, reading whimsy coffee quotes, and engaging in some coffee-themed activities. And we’ve got all of those elements waiting for you below.
Grab your favorite mug, and don’t forget the creamer; we’re diving into International Coffee Day!
In this article
Why is October 1st International Coffee Day?
Now that we know International Coffee Day is on October 1st, why is International Coffee Day on October 1st?
The origin of International Coffee Day isn’t entirely clear, but the grand stamp of this coffeelicious celebration was created by the International Coffee Organization. This day, along with corresponding Obscure Holidays such as National Coffee Day, is observed to celebrate the goodness of coffee and bring people together, as well as advocate and support coffee growers and local coffee shops.
Coffee Day is celebrated in a variety of ways and times of the year; here’s a list of Coffee Days around the world!
- January 25th – Ireland
- March 11th – Indonesia
- March 23rd – Italy
- April 14th – Portugal
- May 24th – Brazil
- June 6th – Finland
- June 27th – Colombia
- August 4th – Peru
- September 2nd – Costa Rica
- September 4th – Netherlands
- Last Friday of September – Germany
- September 15th – Ethiopia
- September 28th – Switzerland
- September 29th –
- South Africa
- United States
- October 1st –
- New Zealand
- Sri Lanka
- United Kingdom
- November 23rd – Russia
- December 5th – Turkey
- December 10th – Vietnam
What is the Difference Between National and International Coffee Day?
We know that there’s a National Coffee Day and an International Coffee Day, but what’s the difference?
Aside from the date itself, the main difference is the involvement of the International Coffee Organization. They play a major role in International Coffee Day, especially in spreading awareness, celebration, and funds for coffee growers and small/local coffee shops. We love to hear it!
Coffee lovers are more than welcome to celebrate both National and International Coffee Day; the more coffee, the better!
“My life has been a series of messy and stained coffee cups.”– B.A. McRae
How Do You Celebrate International Coffee Day?
How do you celebrate International Coffee Day? The short answer is with coffee, of course, but there are so many fun, creative, and relaxing ways that you can enjoy International Coffee Day.
We’ve provided you with a mochaful list of activities that are totally doable to incorporate into your International Coffee Day.
International Coffee Day Activities
Let’s take a look at these realistic, fun, wholesome, and enjoyable coffee-themed activities that you can slip into your International Coffee Day on October 1st. Get your friends, family, coworkers, and significant other in on the coffee fun!
- Coffee Flight: You’ve heard of a beer flight before, well, get ready for a coffee flight! Most local coffee shops offer coffee flights as a way to explore other types of coffee that are available to purchase. A way you can make this an even better International Coffee Day is to purchase a bag of beans from the coffee you liked most in the fight!
- Coffee Shop Hop: Speaking of local coffee shops, grab a fellow coffee lover or go on a solo caffeinated adventure and go coffee shop hopping! Just be sure to drink some water in between and enjoy a few pastries, so you don’t get the jitters.
- While you’re cruising on your coffee shop hop journey, jam out to a fun coffee-themed playlist, like this Coffee Playlist on Spotify!
- Start a Coffee Sleeve Collection: You know those cute sleeves that are put on to-go cups that have the shop’s label on them? Why not start an adorable collection so you can see all the coffee shops you’ve been to, like the adorable coffee sleeve collection here?!
- New Coffee Method: We all know the classic drip coffee pot, but why not take International Coffee Day as an opportunity to spread those caffeinated wings and try a new method of making coffee? Such as French Press, Mocha, Pour Over, and Cowboy Coffee!
- While you’re trying something new, type ‘Coffee TedTalk’ into YouTube and let your mind be boggled by how much you can learn about the all mighty bean juice.
- Coffee Writing Session: Are you a creative writer? Or you’re looking to tap into some poetry? Go to a local coffee shop or sit down in a cozy spot with a cup of coffee and a coffee shop ambiance video and let the caffination inspire you.
- Take your coffee-inspired poem and make it into coffee drip art! Simply place coffee rings or speckle your paper in coffee and huzzah! You’ve got some grand coffee poetry art.
- Coffee Lover Quiz: Looking for some quick fun on International Coffee Day? Take this What Kind Of Coffee Are You Deep Down In Your Soul? Quiz and see what you got, and share it with your coffee pals!
- Free Coffee: Sometimes local coffee shops or chains may offer discounts or free cups of coffee on International Coffee Day; how sweet! Be on the lookout on your local coffee shop’s social media to see if they offer any neat discounts or free coffee.
- Repurpose Coffee Can: Do you have an empty coffee can? Before you chuck it and buy more coffee, try repurposing that coffee can for a craft or storage! Here’s an adorable example of a coffee can turned Thanksgiving Turkey. Thanksgiving is right around the corner!
- Support Local: Take time to pursue the true mission of International Coffee Day and support your local coffee shop/coffee farmers by shopping small and local. Grab a bag of coffee beans that’s responsibly sourced by a terrific company!
- Creative Latte Art: Use these free coffee stencils to put an extra pazzazz on in your coffee or surprise a loved one! You can easily learn how to make these fabulous coffee stencils to use again and again.
- Mug Thrift Hunt: Get your thrift on this International Coffee Day by going to thrift stores and going on a mug hunt! There are so many cute, funny, and quirky mugs waiting for you to wrap your hands around them and fill ’em up.
- DIY Mug Rug: Are you a Punch Needler, or looking to get into Punch Needle as a hobby? Start with this simple and super cute Mug Rug DIY on International Coffee Day.
- Coffee & Reading: Nestle up in your favorite reading spot, the library, or your local coffee shop with a cup of coffee and a lovely book and find some peace in your day. This could even be a sweet little International Coffee Day tradition you have with yourself!
- Coffee Photoshoot: Whether you’re taking pictures of that cool latte art or with your friends and your iced coffees, take some pictures, and if you choose to post them, use #internationalcoffeeday and explore the hashtag to see how others are enjoying their day.
- Pst, we’ve got coffee quotes below you can use for captions!
- International Coffee Day Ecard: Using a free and awesome website/app like Canva, you can create your very own International Coffee Day ecard to send to your fellow coffee lovers to brighten their day.
We encourage you to hop on social media and check out the hashtag #internationalcoffeeday to get even more inspiration on how you can make the most of your fabulous International Coffee Day. You can also lookup more coffee songs or even see if there are documentaries or movies that center around coffee. There’s so much fun and creativity to be had around this coffee-loving day!
Coffee Lover Quotes for International Coffee Day
Some might say that coffee and reading go hand in hand, and those people would be right! Take in some reading time by enjoying these coffee lovers’ quotes, or take these quotes as fun Instagram Captions for your International Coffee Day festivities.
- “Today’s mood is sponsored by this latte”
- “As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be?” – Cassandra Clare
- “Coffee for the rescue”
- “Ah coffee. The sweet balm by which we shall accomplish today’s tasks.” – Holly Black
- “Coffee dates are the way to my heart.” – Bliss
- “Iced coffee is my love language”
- “You’re the cream in my coffee.” – Unkown
- “Love is in the air, and it smells like fresh coffee”
- “I’d rather take coffee than compliments just now.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “Coffee, yes. You, maybe.”
- “How much better is silence; the coffee cup, the table. How much better to sit by myself like the solitary sea-bird that opens its wings on the stake. Let me sit here for ever with bare things, this coffee cup, this knife, this fork, things in themselves, myself being myself.” – Virginia Woolf
- “Coffee, then life.”
- “I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.” – T.S. Eliot
- “Fueled by coffee and a dope playlist”
- “Coffee is brewed poetry.” – B.A. McRae
- “Coffee is always a good idea”
Do you love exploring quotes? Take a look at our master list of quotes!
- “What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?” – Anthony Trollope
- “Life is better with a mug in hand”
- “I’m not addicted to coffee. We’re just in a committed relationship.” – Unknown
- “Coffee: (n.) A legal drug”
- “Is there anything better than iced coffee and a bookstore on a sunny day? I mean, aside from hot coffee and a bookstore on a rainy day.” – Emily Henry
- “Hocus Pocus, I need coffee to focus”
- “It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity.” – Dave Barry
- “More espresso, less depresso”
- “Sometimes life is merely a matter of coffee and whatever intimacy a cup of coffee affords.” – Richard Brautigan
- “You + Me = cute little coffee shop date”
- “Coffee is a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your older self.” – Terry Pratchett
- “But first, coffee”
- “I’ll read my books and I’ll drink coffee and I’ll listen to music and I’ll bolt the door.” – J.D. Salinger
- “Coffee makes me user-friendly”
- “Even bad coffee is better than no coffee at all.” – David Lynch
- “Caffeine Queen”
- “She needs coffee before she saves the world.” – Unkown
- “Iced coffee is my lover”
- “I really love coffee.” – Gilmore Girls
- “My blood type is coffee”
- “How do you like your coffee?” With you.” – Unknown
- “Coffee o’clock”
- “No matter what historians claimed, BC really stood for “Before Coffee.” – Cherise Sinclair
- “Dear coffee, I need you.”
- “If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Support your local caffeine dealers”
- “They like their coffee like they like their ex-boyfriends: bitter.” – John Green
- “Maybe coffee is addicted to me.”
- “Iced coffee and me. A love story.” – Bliss
- “Drink some coffee. Crank your playlist. And handle it.”
- “Coffee [kaw-fee] NOUN- A dark and magical substance that turns “leave me alone” into “good morning, honey.”
- “My favorite coworker in the morning is the coffee machine.” – Unknown
- “Happiness is an iced coffee”
- “Be with someone who knows your coffee order.” – Unknown
- “I came. I saw. I coffee’d.”
And there it is, the brewtiful holiday of International Coffee Day and all its wonderful festivities. We sure hope you’ve enjoyed learning more about this neat day, and it inspired some fun and relaxing activities to make your International Coffee Day a blast!
Want to make the most out of your calendar year? Then be sure to mark down these other fun and interesting Obscure Holidays here on CardSayings!