Bring on Summer fun with National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! As if the summer couldn’t get even sweeter, this obscure holiday may just be the highlight of August. But be sure to keep those cookies in a cool area outside of the sun; we don’t want too much ooey gooey on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day– unless that’s your jam!
National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day is an obscure holiday filled with tasty treats, togetherness, baking, and more. We’re excited to share some Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes as well as fun cookie quotes you can use for Instagram captions or Letter Board messages.
Let the cookie fun begin!
In this article
Is there a National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day?
Is there a National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day? Could such magic really exist?
Well, the enchanting answer is a huge YES! National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day takes place every year on August 4th. A lovely summer day to enjoy some scrumptious chocolate chip cookies.
Whether they’re coming straight from your oven or a shopping bag (Although we encourage you to try one of the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes we found!), today is all about enjoying those classic cookies.
Further, in this article about National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, we’ll explore the history behind this obscure holiday, what to do on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, recipes to try, and fun cookie quotes!
What is the History of National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day?
Although it’s not specifically clear why August 4th is the day we celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, it is clear who we have to thank for the delicious classic cookie it is today.
The inventor of the chocolate chip cookie is the wonderful baker Ruth Graves Wakefield!
According to our sources, in 1938, Ruth Graves Wakefield was baking in her own establishment of the Toll House Inn in Whitman, Massachusetts, a treat for her expected guests. A largely believed myth is that Ruth Graves Wakefield came up with the recipe by accident while she was attempting to make chocolate cookies, but this is not the true story.
Ruth Graves Wakefield invented the delicious chocolate chip cookie we have and love today because she wanted to try something new and shake things up for her guests. The Toll House Inn was widely known for its delicious plates of homecooked food. So, after experimenting and adding little bits of Nestlé semi-sweet chocolate bar within her cookie recipe, a classic cookie was born.
What To Do For National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day
Hmm, what to do on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day … of course, there’s the obvious of eating cookies, but there’s got to be more than that, right?
We’ve got some grand ideas of what to do on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day that are fun, very reachable, and absolutely delicious.
- Bakery Crawl: Grab a pal and hit up some local bakeries! Not only are you supporting a local business, but you’re also getting to eat a bunch of tasty treats on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. It’s a win-win!
- Watch a Baking Show: Snuggle up on the couch with a few cookies and watch a new or loved baking show. There are so many to explore these days, from The Great British Baking Show to Crime Scene Kitchen; there’s something for everyone. This is a nonchalant way to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and be in the baking spirit.
- Host your Own Baking Challenge: Do you have a few family members or friends who are into baking? Round them up and propose your own fun baking challenge and bring on some other friends and family to be the judges. But really, everyone wins, because it’s National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and you’ll be surrounded by cookies!
- Make a Baking Video: Create your own special National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day video by doing a fun step-by-step on home to bake chocolate chip cookies! You can even put your own fun spin on a classic recipe to really shake things up. For example, you could use a different flavoring to replace the typical vanilla; maple extract, anyone?
- Cookie Potluck: On the flip side, instead of hosting a baking challenge, you can cut straight to the gathering of friends and family and host a cookie potluck! Ask guests to bring a dish of chocolate chip cookies, or any cookies if they’d like, and surround yourself with good laughs and yummy treats.
- Try a Family Recipe: Crack out that old family recipe book and try your baking hand at your great great great great grandparent’s classic cookie recipe! What a sentimental way to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.
- Cookie Surprise for Retirement Home: After you’ve whipped up a few batches of chocolate chip cookies, arrange ahead of time to bring them into your local retirement home as a special surprise treat for the experienced bakers and cookie lovers that live there. You can even make this a family National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day tradition!
- Bake with Loved Ones: And of course, the ultimate activity on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day is to bake with your loved ones. Get those kiddos in the kitchen or put a little flour on your significant others nose; it’s time to make sweet memories and delicious cookies.
Top 5 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipies
Of course, one of the big activities you can do on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day is to bake a batch of cookies yourself!
With that being said, here are some classic Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes that you can feast your eyes on and try at home. It’s perfect to do with the kiddos, friends, a significant other, or flying solo. We apologize in advance for the mouthwatering!
It’s hard to pick which cookie recipe to try out on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day … whelp, I guess just to be safe, you should probably try all of them. And save us a cookie, please!
And last but absolutely not least, we have our super sweet and fun cookie quotes! These handy-dandy cookie quotes can be used for some great Insta captions and Letter Board messages for National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.
With a combo of short and sweet, punny, and downright whimsy, you’ll be sure to find the perfect cookie quote for your National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day purposes!
- “If I had any choice in the matter, I’d stay in my comfy bed and eat warm chocolate chip cookies all day.” – Simone Elkeles
- “I’d say I’m about one cookie away from being happy.” – Snoopy
- “We’d get sick on too many cookies, but ever so much sicker on no cookies at all.” – Sinclair Lewis
- “I’m sorry I ruined your lives… and crammed 11 cookies into the VCR.” – Elf, 2003
- “Home is where heart is. Heart is where cookie is. Math clear: Home is cookie.” – Cookie Monster
- “If I could store any character quality in a cookie jar, I’d store patience. Chocolate-chip patience cookies. And I’d eat them all at one sitting.” – Jarod Kintz
- “You are what you eat, so eat something sweet!” – Unknown
- “Here. Take a cookie. I promise, by the time you’re done eating it, you’ll feel right as rain.” – The Matrix, 1999
- “God never slams a door in your face without opening a box of Girl Scout cookies.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
- “A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.” – Barbara Johnson
- “I swear, sometimes it feels like there’s this monkey in my head who runs around turning the dials and changing channels on me. One minute I’m sitting around eating chocolate chip cookies and then all of a sudden I’m thinking about bears.” – Michael Thomas Ford
- “Fat-free cookies? You might as well just be eating dirt.” – Over the Hedge, 2006
- “It’s hard to be sad when you’re eating a cookie.” – Anonymous
- “I know myself well enough to know how I act around cookies.” – Claudia Gray
- “You’ll feel better if you have a cookie.” – Johnny Dangerously, 1984
- “It’s okay to have more cookies.” – Anonymous
- “If drunk were cookies, I’d be Famous Amos” – John Green
- “I smell cookies.” – Nacho Libre, 2006
- “A cookie a day keeps the stress away!” – Unknown
- “Today me will live in the moment unless it’s unpleasant. In which case, me will eat a cookie.” – Cookie Monster
That’s a wrap on all things history, fun activities, and whimsy quotes on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, now it’s time for you to go and enjoy the chewy magical goodness!
Sad the adventure is over? Here’s a surprise, it’s not! Check out the rest of our Obscure Holidays to keep your year fresh, interesting, and fun!