Adulting means events, and events mean cards, but how to write a Thank You note is the real stressor here. From graduations, birthdays, weddings, baby showers, and job interviews, there’s a lot to be thankful for in this world, and even more Thank You notes to send out!
It can be challenging to articulate your gratitude just right, or if you’re attempting to write a Thank You note for someone you don’t know, you may not know what to write at all. Don’t let these small instances of writer’s block keep you from sending out a thank you note that could make someone’s day or open a door of opportunity; help is on the way!
In this article, we’ll cover how to write a thank you note for various purposes and also thoughtful messages and quotes you can add to your thank you card for optimal fuzzy-good feelings for your recipient.
In this article
When to send Thank You notes
There are many reasons why you would send a Thank You note; some of the most common ones are:
- Wedding Thank You cards
- After a job interview
- Graduation Thank You cards
- Thank You cards for Birthday presents, Baby Showers, Holidays
Each of these events is significant and special in its own way, and each deserves a thank you card if you received something to be grateful for. Receiving a gift is an obvious reason to send out a Thank You card, but there are other valid reasons.
Such as a job interview, you were given the chance to present yourself for a position you would like. And sending a Thank You note to the employer will show that you not only have determination, but it shows qualities of being personable and detail-oriented.
As far as a timeline goes for when to send thank you notes, here are some examples:
- Receiving a gift: Send out a Thank You card within a week of receiving the gift.
- After a Job Interview: As a pro tip, mail out your Thank You card the day of your interview so that way it gets to the employer as soon as possible. This will display your priorities and your ability to be on top of things!
- Thank you for coming: For a birthday party, holiday party, or any other celebration, we suggest sending a Thank You for attending card within a few weeks of the party taking place.
- Thank you for coming, Wedding: It takes a while for things to settle down after a big day like a wedding. Give yourself some time to breathe and try to send out your Thank You for coming cards within the next few months after your wedding.
What should I say in a Thank You card?
This will mostly depend on what you’re sending a Thank You card for, but there are some common ingredients and denominators for all Thank You notes. Using the key points that are listed down below will help you write the perfect Thank You note for your recipient.
How to write a thank you note
Be Specific: A Thank You note is supposed to feel personable and full of gratitude, and it’s hard to translate that from a card that isn’t written specifically to the person receiving it. So add in the specific item you received from the person, or throw in an inside joke/memory. If you’re sending a Thank You note to someone you don’t know as well, be specific with the experience you shared together. Write a sentence or two about how the experience positively impacts you and thank them for it.
Address the Purpose: Although this seems a bit obvious, it is worth saying; be sure to embed the reasoning for the Thank You note within your thoughtful message. This will show to the person receiving the card that you are genuinely thankful and not just sending out the card in obligation.
Write Neatly: Taking your time to relax, breathe, and focus flows into your penmanship more than you may realize! You definitely want the person receiving your Thank You note to be able to read all the nice words you wrote without needing a decoder. And if you have some extra time and you want to send the very best Thank You note you can try typing out your Thank You note first to make sure there are no spelling and grammar errors. Then you can handwrite the typed-out message into your Thank You note with ease!
Send in a Timely Manner: As we covered in the section above, sending out your Thank You note in a timely fashion is very important. You don’t want the person to feel forgotten or taken for granted, right? And with busy schedules, as silly as it may sound, if you wait too long to send a Thank You note, the person may have forgotten!
How do you say Thank You meaningfully?
Being genuine in expressing your gratefulness is the most valuable piece of saying thank you meaningfully. People can tell when a thank you is coming from the heart or if it’s coming out of obligation. Plus, if you simply express why you’re thankful and what it has meant to you in a sincere and grateful way, you have nothing to worry about!
Here are some examples of saying thank you meaningfully that you can model off of, but remember to add in personal touches, so your recipient knows the thank you note is specifically for them.
- “I cannot thank you enough for /taking the time to be there for me /the incredibly thoughtful gift /being a part of such a special day. Your presence always means so much to me.”
- “Saying thank you doesn’t feel like it does justice. But for lack of better words, I can’t even begin to express the amount of gratitude I have for you.”
- “Thank you for being the absolute best, most awesome [receiver’s relation to you] ever!”
- “You have given me so much to be thankful for that I don’t know where to start, but let’s start with [reasoning for thank you card here].”
- “Thank you for [reasoning for thank you card here] and for showing to my heart time and time again what it means to be truly and fully thankful.”
Quotes for Thank You cards
Want to spruce up your Thank You card? Try adding a sweet and thoughtful quote about thankfulness! This is bound to make the receiver smile, and a quote can also help set the gratitude tone of your Thank You card to amplify the thankful vibe!
- “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” –John F. Kennedy
- “When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in.” -Kristin Armstrong
- “Somehow I just can’t say enough how much I appreciate you being in the world.” -Mark Anthony
- “The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see.” -Mary Davis
- “For all you do, for who you are, I will be forever grateful you are in my life.” -Unknown
- “There is nothing more beautiful than someone who goes out of their way to make life beautiful for others.” -Mandy Hale
- “Grateful for small things, big things, and everything in between.” -Minnia_so
- “There are rare people who will show up at the right time, help you through the hard times and stay into your best times … those are the keepers.” -Nausicaa Twila
- “The root of joy is gratefulness.” -David Steindl-Rast
- “Your friendship is a gift generously given, happily accepted, and deeply appreciated!” -Unknown
Get your pen steady, a card ready, and the stamp on deck; you now know how to write a Thank You note! Remember that adding a personal touch is the best method to go when sending someone a Thank You card; you can never be too grateful!
More Thank You Note Ideas
- How to Write a Thank You Note That’s Genuine & Meaningful
- 60 Birthday Thank You Wishes Quotes and More!
- 21 Awesome Thank You Card Sayings for Cards and Letters