If only Noah Calhoun could teach a class on how to write a love letter; how did he write a letter every day for a whole year?! Of course, real life isn’t comparable to love-struck movies, but writing an authentic and beautiful love letter can bring a piece of magic to your loved one’s heart.
In this article, we’ll cover all the romantic notion bases so you can learn how to write a love letter that will blow your partner away. By the time you’re finished reading this article and getting to work, writer Nicholas Sparks will be calling you up for love letter tips!
How do You Begin a Love Letter?
The start of your love letter can set the tone for the entire love letter experience. Commonly, when writing any sort of letter, it starts off with a greeting of sorts. Or, in this case, an endearment!
Start off your love letter by writing a sweet endearment you call your loved one or take a look at some examples we have listed below. Write this beginning at the top of your page and add a comma afterward.
Examples of how to begin a love letter
- My Dearest,
- To My True Love,
- The Most Beautiful Woman,
- The Most Handsome Man,
- The Best Soul in the Universe,
- Dearest love,
- To My Soulmate,
- My Baby,
- Baby girl,
- Love of my life,
- My other half,
Once you’ve picked out your perfect and personalized opener to start off your love letter, skip down a line to provide some space between your endearment and what will be the body of your love letter. This will help your love letter look tidy and neat; this will work if you’re handwriting your love letter or typing it.
What Should I Write to Express My Love?
There are a lot of reasons to write a love letter; to surprise your significant other, to brighten their day, to bring an extra note of magic to a special day, or spice up the love life. And with that, there are many ways to go about writing a love letter and how to express your love in the letter.
Perhaps you feel a bit nervous because articulating your feelings into words isn’t your strong suit. Well, have no fear; we’re here to help unleash the Shakespeare in you!
No matter how you personally feel about your writing, keep in mind during this process and while you’re writing your love letter that your partner wants to hear from your heart with your words; because they love YOU!
Here are some elements you can include in your love letter to express your love:
- Incorporate a memory that is significant to your relationship
- Bring up a moment in your relationship when you knew they were the one for you
- Lines from a song that’s special to you both
- List out some reasons why you love them
- Compliment their personality, looks, and qualities
- Write about your dreams for your future together
Check out our brainstorming list below on how to get yourself in the romantic headspace and mood to write out your deep and loving feelings. And stick around until the end of the article for a grand list of romantic, sweet, and cute love quotes to spice up your love letter!
Tips on How to Write a Love Letter
Writing a love letter can come off as intimidating, making you want to put it off or not do it entirely. But with these tips on how to write a love letter, you’ll be racing to your notebook and grabbing any writing utensil in sight to get your romantic declarations out!
- Before you sit down to write, look through your photos of you and your partner throughout your relationship. See the progression of how far you’ve come, all the wonderful memories and funny moments, and how much you make each other smile. Allowing your mind and heart to be filled with these times will help you tap into your romantic side.
- Handwrite your letter. Even if you think you have poor penmanship, we promise that your partner is going to feel the dedication and hard work you’ve put into this love letter because you took the time to write it. And do take your time in writing your letter; even if you have to type it out first and then copy it down in your own handwriting, it’ll be well worth it to see the smile on your partner’s face!
- Before or during your love letter writing session, have a playlist of love songs softly humming in the background. Who couldn’t feel moved and inspired by the sweet lyrics of John Legend and Adele?
- Take a break if you need to. While you’re writing your love letter, if you start to feel yourself needing a break, know that it’s totally okay and good to take a breather and come back to it.
- Read through our list of love quotes. Reading loving words often sparks emotions and ideas within us since reading paints such a picture in one’s mind while processing the words.
Let’s get into some more specifics on how to write a love letter to him and how to write a love letter to her.
How to Write Love Letter to Him
Guys deserve to get those cutesy fuzzy feelings too! And you can deliver a delightful love letter with these tips on how to write love letter to him.
- Write your letter with one loving purpose in mind. Of course, there are probably many things you want to include in your letter because this is the person you love! But overwhelming one letter with many different directions can give off more of a reading assignment vibe than the lovely love letter vibe you want. Write about why you love him, why you appreciate him, or why being with him makes you happy; expand on one topic and save the other topics for another love letter in the future!
- Keep your length around half a page or a page. You don’t have to dull the enduring meaning behind your love letter by keeping the length of it on the lower side. This only leaves more room for cuddles and kisses afterward!
- Leave a special touch. This may seem old-fashioned, but it has a particular charm to it! At the bottom of your letter, where your name is signed, put a light amount of lipstick on your lips and give that spot a smooch. Leaving a faint trace of your kiss behind. And you can also hold your letter an arm’s length away and spritz a little bit of your perfume around it. Imagine how adorable it would be to find this letter years and years later to see and smell those sentimental things.
How to Write Love Letter to Her
She deserves the world, doesn’t she? You can start by giving her a love letter that’s straight from your heart. Here are some extra tips on how to write love letter to her that will show her how much you love and adore her.
- Date your letter. This is a sentimental and timeless touch; it also shows her that you know she’s going to be in your future because you want her to hold onto this letter and remember the day you gave it to her.
- Compliment her. Of course, this is a given; no matter who you are, it’s nice to be complimented. But try to go deeper with your compliments. Compliment her on the way she carries herself, the positive impacts she had on your life, and changed your life for the better. Have a balance of weaving in compliments that touch on her beauty, mind, intelligence, grace, humor, and love.
- Talk about your future together. Showing her that you’re actively thinking about your future together and how excited you are for it will bring so much peace, love, and giddiness to her heart.
- Take your time and write at least a page. Make sure to take your time with writing your letter because you want it to be loving and not rushed. And the more you write, the bigger that smile of loving surprise from her you’ll see!
Love Letter Quotes
Set the mood for your love letter with one of these gorgeous quotes about love. You can write this on the front or back of the envelope your love letter is in or at the very end of your love letter.
- “Darling, you are all I ever wanted love to be.” -e.s.
- “There is my heart, and then there is you, and I’m not sure there is a difference.” -a.r.asher
- “Meeting you was like listening to a song for the first time and knowing it would be my favorite.” -Unknown
- “I waited for you my entire life and you were worth every minute.” -Mark Anthony
- “You are my favorite feeling.” -aesteuticc
- “Your heart and my heart are very, very old friends.” -Hafiz
- “He is more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” -Emily Bronte
- “I still haven’t figured out how to sit across from you, and not be madly in love with everything you do.” -William C. Hannan
- “I’ve liked you since I met you.” -Unknown
- “I fell for you, and I am still falling.” -d.j.
- I have looked at you in millions of ways and I have loved you in each.” -Unknown
- “Darling, let me tell you a secret. In my heart, we are always kissing.” -Alexandra Vasiliu
- “No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storms together.” -ftffliz
- “You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.” -Oscar Wilde
- “My heart talks about nothing but you.” -Albert Camus
Love Letter Poetry
If you want to add something extra special to your love letter delivery, here’s a pro tip. Give your partner an envelope with the love letter inside and a separate piece of paper with one of these love letter poetry quotes written on it. You can even doodle some hearts with both your initials inside; too cute!
- “I knew right away that you were it for me. There were no reservations or second thoughts. I saw you and in an instant knew in my bones, my soul had known your soul lifetimes ago.” -Beau Taplin
- “For she had eyes and chose me.” -William Shakespeare
- “You are worth more than you will ever know. And I love you in ways your crumbling heart could never fathom. Come to me in pieces and exist inside me whole.” -Christopher Poindexter
- “It wasn’t love at first sight exactly, but it was familiarity. Something like oh, hello, it’s you. It’s going to be you.” -Mhairi McFarlane
- “You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, and most beautiful person I have ever known- and even that is an understatement.” -F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “I have an entire forest living inside me and you have carved your initials into every tree.” -Pavana
- “All I am trying to say is that you are the best of me.” -Tyler Knott Gregson
- “There’s an ocean inside of me. Put your ear against my chest and listen, it rages for you.” -Johnny Nguyen
- “Girls like you deserve a love that always feels like summer.” -Unknown
- “We ate well and cheaply. And drank well and cheaply. And slept well and warm together. And loved each other.” -Ernest Hemingway
- “‘Why do you put up with me?’ Because you’re fire … and I’ve been cold my whole life.” -a.r.asher
- “Well, I can’t describe her exactly- except to say that she was beautiful. She was- tremendously alive.” -F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “And even when you are broken, I will marry your pieces.” -Christopher Poindexter
- “She had a smile worth dying for, but oh when she laughed.” -Clinton
- “I think some souls have a way of connecting without our knowledge. That’s why you can meet someone for the first time, but inside you know it is not the first time you’ve felt them.” -JmStorm
Love Quotes from Movies & Shows
Want to build up the momentum for your love letter delivery? On the day you plan to give the letter to your significant other, send them a message with one of these love quotes from movies and shows, along with a gif from the movie or show. It’ll be such a sweet surprise!
- “I can’t see anything I don’t like about you.” -Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004
- “Maybe I do believe it, all this ‘meant to be’ stuff. Why not believe it, really? Who doesn’t want more romance in their life? Maybe it’s just up to us to make it happen. To show up and be meant for each other.” -Greys Anatomy
- “You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love… I love… I love you.” -Pride & Prejudice, 2005
- “When I was growing up I didn’t have a normal mom and dad or a regular family like everybody else. And I always knew that something was missing. But now I’m standing here today knowing that I have everything that I’m ever gonna need. You are my family.” -F.R.I.E.N.D.S
- “I wanted it to be you, I wanted it to be you so badly.” -You’ve Got Mail, 1998
- “I love you and I like you.” -Parks and Recreation
- “I wish I had done everything on earth with you.” -The Great Gatsby, 2013
- “We’re a masterpiece. And I don’t care what you think right now. We’re going to be together forever and I know that, but you still need to find that out. You know where I’ll be.” -Boy Meets World
- “Listen to me, mister. You’re my knight in shining armor. Don’t you forget it.” -On Golden Pond, 1981
- “You are the Moon of my Life. That is all I know, and all I need to know. And if this is a dream, I will kill the man who tries to wake me.“ -Game of Thrones
- “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day.” -The Notebook, 2004
- “We are made of particles that have existed since the moment the universe began. I like to think those atoms traveled 14 billion years through time and space to create us so that we could be together and make each other whole.” -The Big Bang Theory
- “To me, you are perfect.” -Love Actually, 2003
- “You know you are right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself”. -The Mindy Project
- “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” -When Harry Met Sally, 1989
- “It’s like my life isn’t even real to me unless you’re there, and you’re in it, and I’m sharing it with you.” -Gilmore Girls
- “I love you without knowing how, why, or even from where.” -Patch Adams, 1998
It’s always the right time to write a heartfelt love letter for the one you love with all your heart. One can never have enough, and now you know how to write a love letter! You’ll be able to use this knowledge over and over again to write a variety of love letters to your special someone.
More Love Letter Ideas
- 50 Heartwarming Valentine’s Day Messages
- Best Pickup Lines
- 65 Romantic National Boyfriend Day Quotes
- 116 Pick Up Lines Cheesy, Lovely, and Funny!