Riddles are a staple in J.R.R. Tolkien’s world. It is, as a matter of fact, a very old game played by the hobbits to settle disputes among them. The riddle game, as it is called, makes players fight each other by asking riddles until one of the players fails to provide the right answer. Fans of J.R.R. Tolkien can’t get enough of the Lord of the Rings riddles! Thus, we’ve collected some Lord of the Rings riddles from the Trilogy for you to try. We also added more LOTR-inspired riddles that will make you use your head to answer.
As if the riddles are not enough, a small history section dedicated to the story of how the riddle game began in the Lord of the Rings is included below. It also has a short narrative of Bilbo Baggins and Gollum’s famous riddle game. Lucky for Bilbo, he didn’t end up as Gollum’s dinner after playing (spoiler alert!)
10 Lord of the Rings Riddles from the Trilogy
What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?
Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they chomp,
Then they stomp,
Then they stand still
Voiceless it cries,
An eye in a blue face
Saw an eye in a green face,
“That eye is like to this eye”
Said the first eye,
“But in low place
Not in high place.”
Answer: Sun on the daisies
It cannot be seen, cannot be felt
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills
It comes out first and follows after
Ends life, kills laughter
A box without hinges, key or lid
Yet golden treasure inside is hid
Alive without breath,
As cold as death,
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking
No-legs lay on one-leg,
Two legs sat near on three legs,
Four legs got some
Answer: Fish on a little one-legged table, man at table sitting on a three-legged stool, the cat gets the bones
This thing all things devours;
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats mountain down
Riddle 10 (Bonus Question)
What does Bilbo have in his pocket?
Answer: The One Ring of Power
24 Lord of the Rings-Inspired Riddles
The fame of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy inspired many people to make their own Lord of the Rings riddles. Here are some LOTR-riddles sourced from Riddles and Answers that fans take pleasure in making.
- What did Frodo say when he saw the elves dancing?
Answer: It must be Christmas time
- What do you call a dark lord that works at KFC?
Answer: Lord of the wings
- There’s one that is called Smaug, who in The Hobbit guarded gold. The fire that he breathed means that you would never be cold. What is it?
Answer: A dragon
- What to the Orcs around Lorien fear the most?
Answer: Elf-inflicted wounds
- How did the hobbit ruin the boxing match?
Answer: He tried to destroy the ring
- Who did Saruman get married to?
- What would Legolas carry if he went into the debt collection business?
Answer: A Bill-Bow
- What did Borimir say to the Rolling Stones?
Answer: Have you not heard? One does not simply rock into Mordor!
- Born and raised in Dale, I can be seen in the center of Gondor. I’ve never been in the Shire. But, you’ll always find me at the end of the road. Who am I?
Answer: The letter “d”
- What is the difference between Sauron and the Easter bunny?
Answer: Nobody knows, no one has seen either one.
- What do you call the wraith king?
Answer: A ring leader
- What do you call a wizard who can hit a white ball with a club?
- On the mountain, ‘twas forged. The power it contains. Izildur has it. But, they lost it again.
Answer: The ring of power
- Why did Frodo read The Lord of the Rings 50 times?
Answer: Because it was hobbit-forming
- What do you call a hobbit party?
Answer: A little get together
- Why did they come out with a Lord of the Rings movie?
Answer: The fans were Baggins for it
- How many quarters does it take to play the new Lord of the Rings arcade game?
Answer: None, it only takes Tolkiens.
- What did Frodo say when he saw the trees dancing?
Answer: That’s ENT-ertainment
- A king of riches, a pawn of poor. After the game, the same box they board. It takes them where hierarchy is no more. What is it?
- What is Gollum’s favorite bird?
Answer: A smea-gull
- In caves of mold, in depths untold. We harvest a crop of silver and gold. Lacking in light, we seek to fight. We vanquish our foes, though terrible in might. What is it?
- I am bald and made of stone with fiery hearts, I stand alone. What am I?
Answer: The Lonely Mountain
- In the north of Eriador, covered in ice, is where a bewitched kingdom lies. It’s kind was corrupted by the thing on Sauron’s hand. Can you tell the name of the land?
- Why don’t you ask a hobbit for money?
Answer: Because they’re already a little short
Gandalf’s Riddle of the Ents
Gandalf the Grey, also called Gandalf the White in the latter part of the story, is a favorite character from the book. He is a wizard and one of the protagonists. Gandalf also holds one of the Three Rings, which gives him great power. His ring is the Ring of Fire and he used fireworks to keep the hobbits of Shire entertained.
King Theodon asked Gandalf what caused the Huorns to appear during the Battle of the Hornburg. Theodon. He asked if it was “wizardry,” but Gandalf replied that it was “a power far older” before he started reciting a poem, to which Theoden later identified as a riddle. The poem that Gandalf recited to King Theodon is called Gandalf’s Riddle of the Ents.
Ere iron was found or tree was hewn,
When young was mountain under moon;
Ere ring was made, or wrought was woe,
It walked the forests long ago.
History of Riddles in the Lord of the Rings
The riddle game is regarded as very ancient in J.R.R. Tolkien’s story. The rules of the game were set and agreed upon by the Authorities. Thus, the game is considered sacred and is highly respected by everyone.
The most famous of riddles from the Lord of the Rings were the ones that Gollum and Bilbo Baggins threw at each other during their riddle game inside the Misty Mountains. The prize of the game of utmost importance to the story. If Bilbo won, Gollum would show him the way out of the Misty Mountains. But if Gollum won, Bilbo would be his food for dinner!
The two exchanged riddles until Bilbo asked, “What I have got in my pocket?” Gollum gave a wrong answer after being given three chances to answer it correctly. But, he still wanted to eat Bilbo and so he planned a scheme to use the ring (Gollum’s “My Precious”) against Bilbo. However, he found it was missing and only then did he realize what the correct answer to Bilbo’s last riddle was: The One Ring of Power.
Given how Gollum was able to provide correct answers, except during the last part of the game, Gandalf thought that Gollum was once a hobbit himself.
More Riddles to Enjoy
If you like these Lord of the Rings riddles, then you might want to check out other riddle articles that we have on our site:
- 72 Best Halloween Riddles for the Spooky Season
- The Best 7 Second Riddles to Keep You Guessing
- Best Dad Riddles to Keep them Guessing
And if riddles get boring and confusing, you can ditch them for This or That Questions instead!
Have fun and enjoy more amazing content from Card Sayings!