Cheers to National Hugging Day and all its hugging huggers! A day full of, you guessed it, hugs!
But there’s got to be more behind hugs than the average greeting hug or the somber hug we see at airports and in movies. What are the benefits of hugging, and why is there a National Hugging Day?
We’ve got the answers. Are you ready for the hugs? Let’s learn when National Hugging Day is and dive into the pure contents of its meaning.
If you think National Hugging Day is a little quirky, wait until you get a load of National Spaghetti Day!
In this article
What Day is National Hugging Day?
National Hugging Day is celebrated annually on January 21st! It is a perfect day to capture the warmth of friendship, love, or new beginnings with someone you care about. Who doesn’t love a lovely little hug on a cold day? Why, a hug can switch someone’s whole day around and make it cozy and hopeful instead of lonely or tense.
There are plenty of occasions where a hug is expected or appreciated; dozens! So why is there a day dedicated to it called National Hugging Day? That’s a valid question, and below, we’re going to dive into the answer.
Why is there a National Hugging Day?
The wonderful founder of National Hugging Day is hugging visionary Kevin Zaborney. Back in 1986, on January 21st in Clio, Michigan, the very 1st National Hugging Day was celebrated. Although we can’t say for sure what it was like, we can safely say that if hugs were involved, it was a lovely day indeed.
Kevin Zaborney believed that the power of an intentional and caring hug could bring family and friends closer together. And being close to your family and friends is vital to the human experience. National Hugging Day, in Kevin Zaborney’s eyes, was an effort to bring families closer together and a sweet reminder that it’s perfectly great to express your emotions and let the ones you love know that you love and care for them deeply. Being at National Hugging Day is still going strong, and we think that goal has most certainly been reached and has grown.
The creator of National Hugging Day, Kevin Zaborney, also states that permission should be sought out and consent given before a hug is brought on. Everyone has different comfort zones and boundaries, and those should be respected. If a physical hug isn’t the other person’s jam, try a hand hug instead!
What Are the Benefits of Hugging?
When thinking about the benefits of hugging, the first thing that must pop into our heads is the comfort factor that a hug brings, which is absolutely true and necessary! But did you know there are other awesome benefits to hugging? Take a look and see for yourself!
These insights are according to the Clevland Clinic; Happy National Hugging Day!
- Having daily hugs can, in the long run, help your immune system because you are most likely less stressed.
- In times of stress, a hug can help decrease your heart rate and assist you in calming down.
- Hugs can decrease the release of the stress hormone Cortisol.
- Hugs can also decrease blood pressure.
- Hugs are a great way to get out of your own head (that can be filled with anxiety/stress) and connect with others who care about you.
There are plenty of other amazing benefits that hugs can bring, and we encourage you to take a time-out and watch this remarkable TEDx on Power of Hugs and the Ripple Effect of Caring.
How Many Hugs Does a Person Need Daily?
According to renowned Family Therapist Virginia Satir, we states that, “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.“
What we can take away from this is that the more hugs, the better! A physical touch from someone who cares about you can do so much on the inside, physically, emotionally, and mentally, that we cannot see. Not only do hugs do wonders for our blood pressure, heart rates, and immune systems, but they also heal us in ways we didn’t know we needed.
Hug Day Quotes
It’s a nice feeling to get in a lovely mood, whether it be love toward life, a dear friend, your partner, or a beloved family member. One terrific way to harness that feeling is by reading Hug Quotes! These quotes range from adorable to romantic, and they all encompass that wonderful feeling of being wrapped up in the arms of someone who loves us.
You can use any of these quotes as a cute sticky note surprise for a loved one on National Hugging Day or a sweet caption for your National Hugging Day post!
- “The best place in the world is inside a hug.” – J Quest
- “Sometimes a hug is the answer, even when the question is not known.” – m.s.
- “Ghost hug! You can’t feel it … but it’s there!” – Anonymous
- “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.” – Virginia Satir
- “That’s what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you’re not so lovable.” – Deb Caletti
- “Hugging is a silent way of saying “You matter to me.” – Unknown
- “Hold on to whatever keeps you warm inside.” – Anonymous
- “Hope is hugging me, holding me in its arms, wiping away my tears and telling me that today and tomorrow and two days from now I will be just fine and I’m so delirious I actually dare to believe it.” – Tahereh Mafi
- “I have a big hug waiting for you anytime you need one.” – Anonymous
- “Some people are worth melting for.” – Olaf, Frozen (2014)
- “I need one of those long hugs where you kinda forget whatever else is happening around you for a minute.” – Anonymous
- “Due to personal reasons, I need a hug” – Bliss
- “Maybe home is nothing but two arms holding you tight when you’re at your worst.” – Yara Bashraheel
- “I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can’t tell fast enough, the ears that aren’t big enough, the eyes that can’t take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
- “What the world needs is a group hug.” – Unknown
- “A hug,” said Pooh, “is always the right size!” – A.A. Milne
Aww, group hug! What a cozy and knowledgeable adventure we just embarked on, learning about National Hugging Day! Doesn’t it get you in a cozy-hugging mood?
Well, you don’t have to wait until January 21st to hug the ones you love, but you can mark National Hugging Day on your calendar and other Obscure Holidays to keep your year as interesting as you are!