A cheerful (emphasis on the full) National Spaghetti Day to YOU! Whether your family tree has traces of Italian or you’re just a sucker for a good plate of Spaghetti and meatballs (or vegan balls!), this day is all about appreciating and eating one of the best comfort dishes of all time.
Spaghetti, and other amazing Italian dishes, have become a cornerstone in American culture and have spread far beyond the walls of its origin regions of Sicily and Campania. There should be a standing ovation for these delicious and comforting dishes we have the pleasure of preparing and enjoying. So, why not have an entire day, like National Spaghetti Day, to celebrate it?
We’re helping you prep and kick off your National Spaghetti Day in the best way possible; we’ve got history about the day, fun out-of-the-box ideas for National Spaghetti Day festivities, and even some silly National Spaghetti Day captions that you can use after you’ve taken your group picture with noodle mustaches.
If you think National Spaghetti Day is a wacky holiday, wait until you hear about International Talk Like a Pirate Day!
In this article
When Is National Spaghetti Day?
Get your winter tummies ready for spaghetti because National Spaghetti Day is annually celebrated on January 4th! Be sure to mark your calendars, you don’t want to miss this date!
What a nice toasty meal to embrace and enjoy during the cold month of January. Imagine that warm sauce greeting your throat as you wash it down with some sparkling juice or wine if you’re feeling fancy. And that wonderful feeling of a scrumptious bowl of pasta warming your stomach, but just be careful you don’t eat too much!
How Do We Celebrate National Spaghetti Day?
The big anticipation-filled question comes down to how do we celebrate National Spaghetti Day? As long as spaghetti is involved, you can’t really go wrong with your National Spaghetti Day celebrations. But we’ve got some creative, easy, and fun ideas for you to get your pasta party started on January 4th.
- Sauce Potluck: Do you have a family or group of friends who love cooking and trying new things? On National Spaghetti Day, host a potluck and ask everyone to bring a different kind of pasta sauce! You provide the noodles, and your guests can lay out their bowls of interesting sauce for everyone to test and try.
- Spaghetti Tacos: Sound goofy? Maybe because it was made popular by the Nickelodian comedy TV show iCarly! It’s exactly what it sounds like, cooking both Spaghetti and your choice of tortilla (we personally enjoy a nice warm flour tortilla with our spaghetti tacos) and putting them together to make an epic spaghetti taco! Don’t knock it ’till you’ve tried it, and at the very least, it’ll shake things up from your usual pasta night!
- Group Photo!: Before everyone digs into their delicious spaghetti, everyone takes a noodle and uses it in a funny way! This could be a noodle mustache, noodle brows, noodle beard, you name it! You can even use one of our National Spaghetti Day captions to make it the most awesome #nationalspaghettiday post!
- Spaghetti Night: The perfect way to celebrate National Spaghetti Day is to eat some spaghetti, of course! You can jazz up your Spaghetti night by playing some Classic Italian Songs or a neat ambiance of a Cozy Italian Restaurant.
- Dine Out: Put on your nice dinner clothes and head out on the town! Perhaps there’s a lovely local Italian restaurant that you can pop into for a scrumptious spaghetti dinner, or if that’s not an option, you can always go with a classic Olive Garden. Either way, sometimes it’s nice not to cook dinner, and it is a holiday, after all!
- Spaghetti Movie Night: Spaghetti for dinner and watch a movie with an iconic pasta scene! Here are a few to get the noodle boll rolling– Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2009), Lady and the Tramp (1955), Eat, Pray, Love (2010), Gummo (1997), and Elf (2003).
- Buddy the Elf Spaghetti Challenge: Speaking of the movie Elf (2003) and its iconic sweet spaghetti scene, how about a family or friend challenge to see who can stomach eating Buddy the Elf’s pasta dish? Remember its contents? Here it is: A plate of spaghetti, maple syrup (in place of sauce), chocolate syrup (extra saucy), marshmallows, a crumbled-up chocolate fudge Pop Tart, and, to top it all off, M&Ms. Take a look at this easy to follow Buddy The Elf Pasta recipe for further guidance!
- Homemade Noodles/Homemade Sauce: Where are my ambitious kitchen lovers at? Kick your National Spaghetti Day up to the highest notch by crafting your own pasta noodles and delicious sauce! To help you plan ahead, we’ve pulled a Homemade Noodles recipe and a Homemade Pasta Sauce recipe (Meatless recipe here!).
We hope you found some fun ideas within our National Spaghetti Day brainstorm list; let the pasta party begin!
Funny National Spaghetti Day Captions
Bring on the new-age fun tradition of the classic holiday social media post! From Facebook to Instagram, here are some funny and sweet captions that’ll rock your National Spaghetti Day post! And don’t forget, you can always use a #NationalSpaghettiDay
- “Life is a combination of magic and pasta.” – Federico Fellini
- “I don’t know man, I just started eating pasta and I was like “Wow, my problems, where did they all just go?”
- “Everything you see I owe to spaghetti.” – Sophia Loren
- “Eat spaghetti to forgetti your regretti”
- “I make really good pasta sauce. The secret to getting it right is just patience and love.” – Banks
- “Life is about exploring pasta-bilities”
- “What is your spaghetti policy here?” – Always Sunny in Philedalphia
- “Less upsetti more spaghetti”
- “Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner.” – Sophia Loren
- “You are the noodle to my spaghetti”
- “No man is lonely while eating spaghetti: it requires so much attention.” – Christopher Morley
- “Mission Impastable”
- “Life is like a bowl of spaghetti. Every once in a while, you get a meatball.” – Sharon Creech
- “Today’s Goal: Less Uptighti More Spaghetti”
We hope you enjoy your sauces, noodles, and fun this National Spaghetti Day, and perhaps you and your family/friends will have a new-found annual tradition! Take a look at our other Obscure Holidays so you can keep having fun all year round!