This one is for the girls! International GF Day is a fun summer day to get together with your besties and celebrate your friendships, lift each other up, and give a big whoop whoop for being a woman!
We’ve got International GF Day Activities, Quotes, Movie Recs, and more! International GF Day should be a fun and memorable day for you and your besties, and we hope to help you out with that.
Make International GF Day a tradition with your bestie/friend group and get in on even more Obscure Holidays you can all celebrate together.
Let’s get festive for International GF Day!
In this article
What Day is International GF Day?
So, when should you rally the troops and get ready to celebrate with your girlfriend? Well, International GF Day is anually celebrated on August 1st!
A perfect summer day for a perfect spark of fun, new memories in the making, and of course, lots and lots of laughs. Whether you get together when you’re all off work or you take the day off to go on a day trip of your choosing, August 1st for International GF Day couldn’t have been a better pick for you and your girlfriend(s).
But why is International GF Day on August 1st to celebrate girlfriend relationships? Check out that answer below!
Why Is International GF Day on August 1st?
Although the direct lines of where International GF Day developed from, the closest we received from our sources was “Mistress Susan”, created this day of fun and celebrating your close girlies in 2004.
As for why International Girlfriend Day is on August 1st, we ask, who wouldn’t want to hang out with their best friends on a nice, warm, and sunny summer day? If you ask us, it sounds like a pretty great recipe for an incredible set of new memories with best friends and girlfriends.
International GF Day Activities
Now that we’ve got the scoop on International GF Day, let’s get into what activities y’all can get together and do to make it the best International Girlfriend Day EVER!
Did you know there’s also such a thing as Galentine’s Day that you and your gals can get in on?
From big plans to the little things, we’ve got some fun and unique International GF Day activities you can take and run with or use for inspiration. Either way, we hope you have a BLAST!
- Day Trip: Do you and the gals have August 1st off? Pack some snacks and set off on a day trip! Whether it’s the next town over or an adventure a few hours away, what better way to commemorate International GF Day than with a journey? You can also incorporate this Day Trip idea with other ideas in our International Girlfriend Day activities list!
- Bucket List Day: Sooo, what’s a Bucket List Day? It’s a day where everyone involved picks something off their bucket list or something they’ve always wanted to try/do, and you spend the day doing each thing! This can be an exciting and fulfilling day to adventure in altogether, as long as everyone is comfortable getting out of their comfort zone a little bit. International GF Day is all about loving and appreciating the girlfriends in your life, so a day like this brings people together.
- Photoshoot: Document the awesomeness of your International GF Day with a playful and fun photoshoot! You can take the gang around town, inside your favorite bookshop, or go out of town for a destination shoot. Either way, you can capture the fun and candid moments of International Girlfriend Day with your best friends and use cute Instagram Captions to share them.
- Wine/Beer Flight: Everyone 21+? Cool! Then, if everyone is on board, you can hit up a local winery/brewery and try a flight of new and exciting drinks together! Sit and chat, reminisce all the fun memories you have, and you can even go in on a bottle of wine together at the end of the night and save it for next year’s International GF Day. How cute!
- Sleepover: Time to kick it old school and have a good old-fashioned sleepover with your best friends for International GF Day! Think of how much fun that would be: cozy pajamas, late-night laughs, and stories, all under one roof of friendship.
- Thrift Frenzy: Where the thrifty ladies at? You may have heard of bar hopping, but how about thrift hopping? Get the gals together and make your way to different thrift stores together! You can even come up with games, like choosing thrifted outfits for each other to try on or trying to find the craziest sweater. Have fun with it!
- Movie Marathon: This can go hand-in-hand with a sleepover or a stand-alone International GF Day activity– Movie Marathon! Depending on how many you have in your group, you can each pick a movie to watch together or a series you want to binge. Get the popcorn, candy, and drinks ready for a nice and cozy night in! Are you looking for movie ideas? Check out our list below!
- Karaoke Night: Do you and the ladies want to get out for International GF Day? Here’s a fun idea– Karaoke Night! Find a bar/club near you that hosts a Karaoke Night and sing your hearts out! We’ve got a list of fantastic International Girlfriend Day songs that you can sing together, below!
- Game Night: Are you guys board game or video game lovers? Forget going out; stay in and break out your favorite games! International GF Day is about embracing friendships, having fun, and making memories with the gals you couldn’t live without.
- Book Club/Reading Date: Friends who read together stay together! Set up a cozy reading date, head out to the bookstore, or start your very own International GF Day book club! You can read books that are about friendship and women sticking together, and since life can get so busy, book club members can have the entire year to finish the book, and on the following International Girlfriend Day, you can all celebrate!
- Weekend Getaway: For times when International GF Day lands on a weekend, take advantage of it and go off on a girlies International Girlfriend Day weekend getaway!
70 Movies for International GF Day
Get all the blankets and pillows you have, throw them on the couch, grab snacks and drinks, and cuddle up! Having a Movie Marathon on International GF Day is a fantastic and cozy idea, plus it’s easy to do on a budget/last minute.
We’ve compiled a list of fun movies centered around friendship, sisterhood, and women; we hope you enjoy them!
- Stage Door, 1937
- The Women, 1939
- All About Eve, 1950
- How to Marry a Millionaire, 1953
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, 1953
- Céline and Julie Go Boating, 1974
- 9 to 5, 1980
- The Color Purple, 1985
- Beaches, 1988
- Mystic Pizza, 1988
- Heathers, 1988
- Steel Magnolias, 1989
- Pretty Woman, 1990
- Thelma & Louise, 1991
- Fried Green Tomatoes, 1991
- A Leauge of Their Own, 1992
- Joy Luck Club, 1993
- Now and Then, 1995
- Clueless, 1995
- Waiting to Exhale, 1995
- Set It Off, 1996
- The Craft, 1996
- The First Wives Club, 1996
- Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, 1997
- My Best Friend’s Wedding, 1997
- Spice World, 1997
- How Stella Got Her Groove Back, 1998
- The Parent Trap, 1998
- Bring it On, 2000
- Miss Congeniality, 2000
- Me Without You, 2001
- Legally Blonde, 2001
- Sugar & Spice, 2001
- The Princess Diaries (1, 2), 2001, 2004
- Crossroads, 2002
- The Sweetest Thing, 2002
- Uptown Girls, 2003
- Bend It Like Beckham, 2003
- 13 Going on 30, 2004
- Mean Girls, 2004
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, 2005
- The Devil Wears Prada, 2006
- Last Holiday, 2006
- Hairspray, 2007
- Sex and the City: The Movie, 2008
- The Secret Life of Bees, 2008
- The Help, 2011
- Bridesmaids, 2011
- Frances Ha, 2012
- Pitch Perfect (1, 2, 3) 2012, 2015, 2017
- The Heat, 2014
- Hidden Figures, 2016
- Ghostbusters, 2016
- Bad Moms, 2016
- 20th Century Women, 2016
- Girls Trip, 2017
- Ingrid Goes West, 2017
- Lady Bird, 2017
- I Feel Pretty, 2018
- The Spy Who Dumped Me, 2018
- Crazy Rich Asians, 2018
- Hustlers, 2019
- Someone Great, 2019
- Wine Country, 2019
- Booksmart, 2019
- Little Women, 2019
- Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, 2021
- Barbie, 2023
- You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah, 2023
- Quiz Lady, 2023
45 Fun Songs for International GF Day
Need some Karaoke song ideas for your International Girlfriend Day night out? Or do you just want to create a playlist to blast around the house or in your car? Here are some songs that are bound to get you in the Girl’s Night Out, Sisterhood mood!
- Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae
- Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
- Superwoman by Alicia Keys
- 22 by Taylor Swift
- Coloring Outside the Lines by MisterWives
- This One’s for the Girls by Martina McBride
- My Wish by Rascal Flatts
- ME! by Taylor Swift (feat. Brendon Urie)
- You Don’t Own Me by Lesley Gore
- Wonderful Life by Two Door Cinema Club
- What About Your Friends by TLC
- Can You Stand the Rain by New Edition
- 7 Rings by Ariana Grande
- Ant-Hero by Taylor Swift
- Hey Girl by Lady Gaga and Florence Welch
- Funkytown by Lipps Inc
- Jumpin’, Jumpin’ by Destiny’s Child
- Me & My Girls by Fifth Harmony
- Chandelier by Sia
- Good as Hell by Lizzo
- Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler
- Hurricane by Bridgit Mendler
- BROWN SKIN GIRL by Beyoncé (feat. Blue Ivy Carter, SAINt JHN & WizKid)
- Dog Days Are Over by Florance and the Machine
- Some Nights by fun.
- Count on Me by Bruno Mars
- All the Pretty Girls by KALEO
- Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion
- Dandelions by Ruth B.
- Exhale (Shoop Shoop) by Whitney Houston
- Lady Marmalade by Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mýa & Pink
- This One’s for the Girls by Martina McBride
- True Colors by Cyndi Lauper
- Hey, Soul Sister by Train
- Oath by Becky Hill (feat. Ella Henderson)
- Mess by Noah Kahan
- Raise Your Glass by Pink
- That’s My Girl by Fifth Harmony
- Girl by Little Mix
- We Can’t Stop by Miley Cyrus
- That’s My Best Friend by Queen Naija
- You Need to Calm Down by Taylor Swift
- Lean on Me by Bill Withers
- New Rules by Dua Lipa
- The Best by Tina Turner
20 Perfect Quotes for International GF Day
Take a look at all of the awesome quotes we pulled for International Girlfriend Day; you can add a little hashtag at the end of your caption, #InternationalGFDay, or just simply say Happy Girlfriend Day!
Also, be sure to take a look at our 202 Unique Insta Cute Captions #instagood!
- “A friend is one of the best things you can be and the greatest things you can have.” – Sarah Valdez
- “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” – Linda Grayson
- “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “There’s not a word yet, for old friends who’ve just met.” – Jim Henson
- “Friendship is a simple thing, and yet complicated; friendship is on the surface, something natural, something taken for granted, and yet underneath one could find worlds.” – Jamaica Kincaid
- “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” – Walter Winchell
- “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
- “Wasn’t friendship its own miracle, the finding of another person who made the entire lonely world seem somehow less lonely?” – Hanya Yanagihara
- “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art…. It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” – C.S. Lewis
- “She is a friend of my mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order.” – Toni Morrison
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” – A.A. Milne
- “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” – Marcel Proust
- “The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.” – Elisabeth Foley
- “When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.” – Jess C. Scott
- “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” – Muhammad Ali
- “Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend.” – Sarah Dessen
- “In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, for in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.” – Khalil Gibran
- “It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.” – John Joseph Powell
- “To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.” – Dr. Seuss
- “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” – Jane Austen
Aww, what a lovely International GF Day it will be with all of these fun ideas, touching words, and terrific movies/songs to lose yourselves in. We hope you had a great time looking through our lists to make your International GF Day a great one, and we encourage you to check out the many more fantastic Obscure Holidays we have listed to make your year super fun.
Remember, International Girlfriend Day is about telling the bestie in your life what they mean to you and empowering them and the incredible person they are.
Happy International GF Day!