When the word family pops into your mind, more often than not, you’ll probably have a picture of your lovely family surface. But if you ask someone else, their image will look a bit different. No family is the same, and all forms of family deserve to be celebrated.
In some families, for different circumstances, the parental roles of both a mother and a father are taken on by a single mother. With double the responsibility, it can be extremely difficult to carry all of that weight physically, emotionally, and mentally. So why not have an extra cause for gratitude and celebration to show these strong people that they are seen, empowered, appreciated, and loved?
Introducing a refreshing and caring way to celebrate just that is Mathers’ Day!
In this article
What is Mathers Day
Let’s do a little math together before we dig into some definitions, shall we! No trigonometry, don’t worry, just some simple addition.
Mother + Father = Mather
Huzzah! We’ve done it! Now we can properly define what Mathers Day is, and further along in this article you can discover how to celebrate Mathers Day and great info for Mathers Day cards.
Mathers Day is celebrated the same day as Fathers Day (the 3rd Sunday of June). The goal is for both these holidays to co-exist; not one is above the other, there is no competition. It is a pure day to celebrate family, and what family looks like to those who are celebrating.
Some children of single parents even choose to celebrate their “Mather” on both Mother’s Day and Father’s day. Double the celebration for their dedicated and loving Mather!
How to Celebrate Mather Day
There isn’t a strict right answer for this question, as long as you are celebrating the Mather in your life with love, appreciation, and gratitude that’s what matters! Of course, if you’d like to surround your Mather with things they enjoy, cook dinner, or go out for a fun family day, those are all great bonuses too.
If you’re running a little short on celebration inspiration, here are a few simple ideas that you can take and run with to make it more personalized for the Mather in your life:
- Breakfast in bed
- Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner at their favorite spot
- Picnic in the park
- Pleasant hike
- Sunday Matinee
- Family game night
- Family movie night
- DIY craft time
- Road trip to a sentimental spot
- Go for a walk
- At-home spa day
- Get ice cream together and go for a stroll
- Ask your Mather a week or 2 ahead of time what a relaxing Mathers Day would look like to her!
How to Write a Mather Day Card
There’s nothing like saying Happy Mathers Day than a lovely card! Whether it’s picked out with care from the store, or you carved out time to make a homemade card, the Mather in your life will love it.
How to Write Out Mathers Day
We won’t dive too deep into the grammatical textbooks, rest assured! But, there are a few different ways in which Mather Day can be written out:
- Mathers Day-
When there is no apostrophe present within the word this means there is no owner; in this case, Mathers Day doesn’t solely belong to Mathers, but it is a day to celebrate who they are.
- Mathers’ Day-
If the apostrophe is after the letter s this indicates that the day belongs to all Mathers! If you were to make a Facebook or Instagram post giving thanks to all Mathers, this is most likely the form you’ll want to use.
- Mather’s Day-
Last but not least, the apostrophe is probably in a more familiar place now. When using this form, it means you are giving thanks and celebration to one Mather in particular. If you were signing a card to the Mather in your life, this is the form you would like to use.
How to Sign a Mather Day Card
This may depend if this is your very own Mather or a Mather in your life whom you admire, please feel free to personalize any of these example signatures. What really matters, is letting them know they are seen, appreciated, and celebrated.
- You’ll always be my #1,
- You’re the best Mather ever,
- I couldn’t imagine life without my Mather,
- You’re the strongest person I know,
- I love you so much,
- Every day is Mathers Day when you have the best Mather on earth,
- I love you forever, Mather!,
- We celebrate you today and every day,
- You’re the coolest Mather a kid could ask for,
- Thank you for being the best Mather,
Quotes and Messages for Mather Day Card
Gather some inspiration for the inside contents of your thoughtful card with these heartfelt quotes and messages for Mather Day card. The Mather in your life is going to love all of the beautiful gratitude and love they’ll receive!
Mather Day Quotes
- “She has to have four arms, four legs, four eyes, two hearts, and double the love. There is nothing single about a single mom.” -Mandy Hale
- “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” -Barbara Kingsolver
- “The women whom I love and admire for their strength and grace did not get that way because stuff worked out. They got that way because stuff went wrong, and they handled it. They handled it in a thousand different ways on a thousand different days, but they handled it. Those women are my superheroes.”-Elizabeth Gilbert
- “It’s difficult, but far from impossible and we smile more than we cry.” -Regina King
- “I don’t think you necessarily have to be part of a traditional nuclear family to be a good mother.” –Mary Louise Parker
- “Just because I am a single mother doesn’t mean I cannot be a success.” -Yvonne Kaloki
- “A single mom tries when things are hard. She never gives up. She believes in her family, even when things are tough. She knows that above all things, a mother’s love is more than enough.”-Deniece Williams
- “I think moms, single or not, put a lot of pressure on ourselves trying to balance it all. It’s NEVER going to be perfectly balanced—the sooner you know this, the sooner you can relieve some of the pressure you put on yourself.” -Denise Richards
- ”Being a single parent is not a life full of struggles, but a journey for the strong.” –Meg Lowrey
- “As a single mum you’ll discover inner strengths and capabilities you never knew you had.” -Emma-Louise Smith
- “At the end of the day, it’s the bond you share with your child that matters, and you mommy know just how to do that.” –Author Unknown
- “Remember that a single mom is just like any other mom and that our number one priority is still our kids. Any parent does whatever it takes for their kids and a single mother is no different.” -Paula Miranda
- “When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth.”-Mitch Albom
- “Mothers are the people who love us for no good reason. And those of us who are mothers know it’s the most exquisite love of all.” -Maggie Gallagher
- “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.”-Cardinal Meymillod
- “Being a single parent is twice the work, twice the stress and twice the tears but also twice the hugs, twice the love and twice the pride.” -Author Unknown
- “We are born of love; love is our mother.”-Rumi
- “Being raised by a single mother, I learned to appreciate and value independent women.” -Kenny Conley
- “There will be so many times you feel like you failed. But in the eyes, ears, and mind of your child, you are a SUPER MOM.” –Stephanie Precourt
Mather Day Messages
- Since the day I was born you have never let me down, and I know you never will. Not because you won’t make a mistake, I mean come on we all make mistakes (even heroes like you), but because I know you’ll always love me unconditionally. And that’s the greatest gift I’ll ever receive in this life. I love you, my Mather!
- Happy Mather’s Day to the best Mather a [girl/boy/child/son/daughter] could ever ask for! You have filled my life with precious memories, and valuable lessons and my heart is full of love all thanks to you. You will always be twice the role model, parental figure, and loving Mather any person could try to amount to; I got the very best! I love you!
- Today is a day to celebrate the absolutely outstanding Mather you are. Every day you show up for your children, your responsibilities, and for yourself. You’ve never quit, walked away, or stopped loving your family for who they are. And I know without a doubt they couldn’t imagine their lives without you, I know I can’t! You are loved and appreciated more than you’ll ever know, but let’s celebrate today to show you a glimpse. We love you!
- Happy Mather’s Day to a real-life superhero! You’re so cool and awesome, you don’t even need a cape. But if you wanted one, you could totally rock it! Let’s take today to celebrate you and all your accomplishments, strength, determination, and unconditional love that you pour into every single day. You’re one heck of a human being, and you deserve a wonderful day!
- My life wouldn’t be what it is today if it wasn’t for you, my loving, caring, incredible, beautiful, out of this world Mather. Our lives have had some tough paths, but we held each other’s hands and made it through to the other side every time. I love you so much, and I will always be here for you just like you are for me. Happy Mather’s Day!
More Messages for Mothers and Quotes for Fathers
- 54 Happy Mother’s Day Messages to Friends
- 42 Father’s Day Messages from Wife to Husband
- The 61 Best Mother Daughter Quotes
- 37 Hilarious Father’s Day Puns for Dad