You’ve got the fit, the perfect venue, and a wonderful person..but how do you know what kind of questions to ask first date?
There’s common anxiety around first dates of accidentally saying the “wrong thing” and scaring that potential relationship away before it even has the chance to develop. That’s why reviewing our classy questions to ask first date is vital to get your confidence up before you go on your fun date.
Now, if you’re looking for questions to ask your current romantic partner, check out our 115 Questions to Ask your Girlfriend or 236 Perfect Questions to Ask to Get to Know Someone!
We not only have a giant list of classy questions to ask first date, but we also have a superb list of first date tips and icebreaker ideas!
Don’t worry, just call us your wingman…we’ve got your back!
In this article
7 First Date Tips
Let’s get psyched! You’re going on a first date, that’s so exciting! Now, it’s perfectly normal to be nervous and want a Rolodex of questions to ask first date in your mind, but let’s also cover some first date tips.
Our first date tips are genuine and realistic; we want you to feel confident, comfortable, and ready to embrace this new experience you’re about to set off to. As we said before, we’ve got your back! So, let’s go over some first date tips before we mosey on over to our fabulous list of classy questions to ask first date.
- Feel Good Getting Ready Music: This step and first date tip is widely overlooked, so let’s get it covered immediately! While you’re getting all spiffy for your first date, this is a great time to get your mind in a positive state. You can do this by playing some feel-good music and giving yourself positive self-talk. It might sound a little silly to talk nicely to yourself, but it actually has very profound positive effects on your daily life and attitude! So, tell yourself some messages such as: “I am an interesting person,” “I’m a fun person to be around,” or whatever words of affirmation you may need.
- Take Deep Breaths Beforehand: On a first date, you may get a bit anxious; we’ve all been there! Especially if you have questions to ask first date, because it takes stepping outside your comfort zone to approach someone new and open yourself up to them. To help yourself feel more level-headed and centered, focus on your breathing before entering the venue. You can easily do this by closing your eyes, inhaling deeply through your nose, slowly counting to 10, and as you exhale, tell yourself something nice like we mentioned above. Do this a few times until you feel ready to go. We genuinely believe this first date tips is a good one!
- Get to Venue Early: It always helps to arrive at your destination a few minutes early, or even 20 minutes if you want to be extra prepared or grab a table if you don’t have a reservation. This can also help you feel familiar with and comfortable in your surroundings. Plus, it doesn’t look half shabby when your date is early versus being late!
- Put The Phone Away: Here’s a first date tips we can’t stress enough– put that phone away! Not on the table face down; put that little nuisance away from your nervous hands in your bag/coat pocket. You want to show your date that your attention is on them, and there isn’t anything more important than being in the moment with them.
- Ask Your Date Questions About Themselves: Another way to show your date that you’re engaged in your experience together and you genuinely want to get to know them is by asking them questions about themselves. This can bring about all sorts of different routes of conversation, find things in common with one another, and open up to even more questions to ask first date!
- Listen Deeply: To follow the first date tips above, listening deeply to the person sitting across from you is an absolute MUST. Someone can tell when you’re not listening to them or you’re thinking about the next thing you’re going to say. Be in the moment and listen to your date, ask follow-up questions, and get to know the awesome person you’re on a date with.
- Don’t Be Someone Else: Last but not least, it’s a tiny bit of a cliche, but it’s simply because it’s sound advice. Be yourself! Don’t try to be someone else because the person you’re going on a date with wants to get to know YOU. Not a fake version of you.
Perfect! We’ve covered 7 sound, genuine, and realistic first date tips that we hope help you along with your first date. Thrilling! And now we can get into those classy questions to ask first date that will come in handy.
100 Classy Questions to Ask First Date
Whoop whoop! The moment you’ve been waiting for, the magic dust to make your date the friendly, inviting, and enchanting experience you’ve been looking for. With the first date tips from above and these questions to ask first date, we’ve got our fingers crossed for you that you’ll have a wonderful time.
When we say Classy Questions to Ask First Date, we mean not risque questions or questions that might push an uncomfortable boundary. You want to, of course, show that you’re interested in the person, but you also want to be respectful.
Now, let’s get into this epic list of classy questions to ask first date!
- If you had to pick a new first name for yourself, what would it be and why?
- What was your answer when someone asked what you wanted to be when you grew up?
- Do you have a go-to order at a coffee shop?
- What are your current fixations/obsessions?
- Are there any hobbies that you currently have or want to pursue?
- Do you have any movie lines memorized?
- What’s a dream of yours that you’ve always wanted to chase and achieve?
- Do you play video games?
- What’s a movie you’ve seen a million times, but it never gets old?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Is there a TV show you’ve seen more than twice all the way through?
- When someone asks you for relationship advice, what do you tell them?
- Which season is your favorite?
- Are you a bookworm?
- What’s something you think you’re naturally gifted at?
- Did you have a favorite homecooked meal growing up?
- What are some songs on your “on repeat” playlist on Spotify?
- Is there a movie you wish you could have seen for the first time in theaters?
- Do you have a quote/mantra that you live by?
- What kind of TV shows do you like to watch?
- If you could have front-row tickets to any concert, present or past, who would it be for?
- Which family member are you closest to?
- If you could have dinner with your Great Great Great Great Grandpa/Grandma, what would you serve them, and what would you ask them?
- Would you instead travel to the past or the future?
- What do you do to comfort yourself after you’ve had a rough day?
- Do you like listening to Podcasts or Playlists more?
- What’s your comfort meal?
- Which Holiday do you look forward to the most?
- Do you have a favorite gift you’ve received?
- Can you recall the nicest thing someone has said to you or about you?
- Is there something you’re really proud of but don’t get to brag about?
- What’s your favorite genre of movies to watch?
- Where’s the farthest you’ve traveled?
- Do you think you’ve experienced a pivotal moment in your life so far?
- Is there an Actor/Actress that you like so much that you’ll see any movie they’re in?
- Do you have a favorite Album?
- What’s the earliest thing you can remember from your childhood?
- Can you share one of your passions with me?
- What are some of your pet peeves?
- Where’s your favorite place in the whole world?
- Is there something that instantly gets on your nerves?
- Where are some places you want to travel to someday?
- Do you have a bucket list?
- What’s one of your favorite facts to tell people?
- Do you enjoy baking or cooking?
- Can you share with me a memory you have with someone who means a lot to you?
- Do you have a favorite sweater/hoodie?
- Was there a toy you were super attached to as a kid?
- What movie/show did you watch non-stop when you were growing up?
- Do you have a favorite snack?
- What’s something that instantly cheers you up?
- Do you have any “parlor tricks”?
- Is there a competition TV show that you could win?
- What’s your favorite board game?
- What does your dream vacation look like?
- When you retire, what do you want to do?
- What’s your favorite genre of books to read?
- Are there any movie quotes you know by heart?
- Who’s your favorite TV couple, and why?
- Do you have a favorite author/an author that you buy any book they come out with?
- Is there a couple you admire in your life, and why do you admire them?
- Are you a cake or pie person?
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- If you went to college, do you wish you would have had a different major?
- Do you have any regrets?
- What do you think the perfect day would look like?
- If you were famous for something, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite Birthday memory?
- Is there a meal you wish you could cook perfectly?
- What’s something you believe in?
- Are you a plant person, dog person, cat person, other, or all of the above?
- What’s a moment from your life that you’ll never forget?
- Did you have any childhood pets?
- What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken in your life?
- Which movie do you think you’ve seen the most?
- What’s something you want to accomplish this year?
- Did you have a favorite book as a child?
- What would you pick if you had to choose a superpower for me? (Then, pick a superpower for them!)
- Which animal do you think you’re the most like?
- If I asked you to recommend a funny movie, what movie would you suggest?
- What’s your favorite genre of music?
- Have you ever conquered a fear before?
- Do you have a favorite drink?
- What’s something you miss/love about where you grew up?
- Can you choose four words that describe what you want your future to look like?
- Do you like chips or crackers more?
- If you were to enter a charades competition, who would you pick in your life to be your partner?
- How did you meet your best friend?
- Can you see yourself living somewhere else in the future?
- What was the last movie you saw in theaters?
- Do you have a library card?
- What’s a kind of date you haven’t experienced yet but you’d like to?
- Is there an exotic animal that you wish you could pet?
- Have you ever seen a shooting star and made a wish on it?
- What’s something you’re nerdy about and proud of it?
- If you could take a walk with your younger self, what would you tell them?
- Would you ever travel in space if given the chance?
- What’s a talent you wish you possessed?
- Can you tell me about your proudest moment when you were a child/teenager?
- When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Wowie wow! Wasn’t that a great set of classy questions to ask first date? They’re personal, fun, engaging, and interesting. A great set of questions to ask first date to get to know them, and hopefully see them again if all goes well!
We can carry on with more insightful first date tips, and if you’d like some more questions to ask first date, take a look at our other articles 115 Questions to Ask the Girlfriend | She’ll LOVE it! and 236 Perfect Questions to Ask to Get to Know Someone.
4 Icebreaker Ideas for First Date
Sometimes, it’s hard to get right into the confident strut of asking questions to ask first date, and that’s totally okay! You can ease into your first date tips action by breaking out some icebreakers.
These aren’t the painful activities we all avoided like the plague in school or at work. It’s just another tool to get to know your date.
- Photo Album Game: This is a super fun way to get to know your date and get those first date jitters out! If your date is comfortable with it, this is how the Photo Album Game works. One of you asks a question such as, “What’s a picture you took when you were really happy?” and then you both look through your own photo albums on your phone and show each other your picture answer. We know this goes against the no phones rule, but this is the one exception. That is unless you get those digits!
- Two Truths & A Lie: You may remember this game from school, it’s a good one! You each take turns telling each other two truths and a lie about yourself, and the other person has to guess which is the lie. It’s a fun way to ease into questions to ask first date, and get to know each other.
- Would You Rather: Yet another classic back-and-forth game. Take turns asking each other fun Would You Rather questions! Stay on the silly/light-hearted side with this, you don’t want to get too serious.
- Story Game: This game is for the extroverts and maybe for people who have had a dialogue going on for a bit before they’ve decided to go on a date. The Story Game is when two (or more people) go back and forth (or in a circle) and say one word at a time to form a story. It can be super funny and silly, and another great way to get loose and have fun getting to know your date.
We certainly hope you’ve found confidence, excitement, and a bit of butterflies in the stomach magic with our questions to ask first date and excellent first date tips.
Remember to be yourself, put your phone away, focus on the person you’re talking to, and hype yourself up beforehand!