Button your bibs, it’s Waffle Day! Arguably, it is one of the most delicious days of the year and one of the sweetest Obscure Holidays to mark on your calendar.
Waffle Day is, of course, about waffles and how yummy and awesome they are, but there’s more than meets the breakfast fancy eye. Discover the history behind Waffle Day and get a load of fun extras as well!
We’ll show you some scrumptious waffle recipes you’ve gotta try, and cute & funny Waffle Day quotes/puns. There’s lots of fun ahead; next stop, Waffle Day!
Craving some more silly and awesome things to celebrate? Check out our whole list of Obscure Holidays!
In this article
Why is March 25th Waffle Day?
Happy Waffle Day! First off, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page here.
International Waffle Day = March 25th
National Waffle Day = August 24th
Now that we have that squared away, let’s get into the lore of why it’s on March 25th—this wonderful and yummy holiday originated in the countries of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
According to our sources, Waffle Day was originally observed on March 25th as it is the same day as Fesat of the Annunciation (A religious observation) because waffles are typically eaten during this celebration.
Eventually, this simply became “Waffle Day” due to the fact that when spoken, the Swedish translation of Our Lady’s Day, Vårfrudagen, sounded a lot like Waffle Day, våffeldagen.
Isn’t that pretty neat? And now, this holiday is observed and celebrated all over the world. And you can jump in on the festivities, too, with our 10 Waffle recipes and 20 Waffle quotes/puns!
10 Scrumptious Waffle Day Recipes
You can’t have Waffle Day without some scrumptious recipes, right? We’ve searched through quite the tempting Waffle Day recipes and have narrowed them down to these goodies below.
Wouldn’t it be a fun Waffle Day treat to try baking a delicious new treat from a fun and easy-to-follow recipe? Yes, please!
One: The Best Waffle Recipe by Lynette Rice
Enjoy a classic waffle recipe this Waffle Day! Whether you choose to jazz it up with your own toppings at the end or slap some maple syrup on it and call it golden, this is an excellent classic to try out.
Total Time: 9 minutes
Two: The Best Vegan Waffles by Alison Andrews
Waffles for everyone of all lifestyles! These vegan waffles are sure to put a big smile on your face this Waffle Day. They’re filled with golden, fluffy, and crispy goodness with every bite!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Three: Fluffy Chocolate Chip Waffles by Bless This Mess
Add a dash of tasty chocolate to your waffle with this easy-to-follow fluffy chocolate chip waffle recipe! Who doesn’t love chocolate chips with their breakfast?
Total Time: 30 minutes
Four: Blender Oatmeal Apple Waffles (gluten-free and kid-friendly!) by Alexis Joseph
Get your blender out for this super-yummy recipe! Want to be more on the healthy side this Waffle Day? Then this recipe was made for you! Filled with Apple and whole grain deliciousness, you’re sure to love this recipe.
Servings: 5 Large Waffles or 10 Small Waffles
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Five: Churro Waffles Recipe by One Sweet Appetite
Is your mouth watering too? Step right up and try these amazing-looking Churro Waffles for yourself! Get the ultimate combo of cinnamon delight with fluffy crispness.
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Six: Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches With the Works! by Food.
The ultimate dessert treat for Waffle Day– Waffle Icecream Sandwiches! That’s right, breakfast lovers, there really is such a thing. And you can whip it up yourself this Waffle Day!
Total Time: 7 Minutes
Seven: Rainbow Waffles by Mommy’s Fabulous Finds
Aren’t these just absolutely beautiful and fun? Originally created for St. Patrick’s Day (how clever!), these little cuties can also make a fantastic Waffle Day treat for the kiddos and just about anyone who likes sprinkles and rainbows!
Total Time: 24 minutes
Eight: Potato Waffles by Oh My Veggies
Don’t forget the hardy waffles! These awesome Potato Waffles are a savory spin on the classic waffle. Plus, they’re also oil and gluten-free!
Total Time: 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
Nine: Homemade Waffle Cones by Chula King
Remember how excited you would get at the ice cream shop when you saw those marvelous waffle cones on display? Now you can bring your own waffle cone magic to your Waffle Day!
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Ten: Croffles (Croissant Waffles) by Mimi Ju
What the heck is a Croffle? Whelp, it’s a croissant and a waffle put together for one delicious tasty treat! Go out of your baking/cooking comfort zone and try something completely new this Waffle Day!
Total Time: 15 Minutes
20 Funny & Sweet Waffle Day Quotes/Puns
Isn’t this fun holiday such a treat to explore? Wouldn’t it be even more sweet to share it with others?
Share your Waffle Day experience and fun with a sweet picture or recipe, and use one of these Waffle quotes/puns as your Instagram/Facebook caption!
- Exhale negativity, inhale waffles
- “Everyone should love waffles. If they don’t, they’re crazy.” – Leslie Knope, Parks and Rec
- I’ll be the syrup to your waffle!
- “You should eat a waffle! You can’t be sad if you eat a waffle!” – Lauren Myracle
- I think you’re waffley- cute!
- “Shawn: Read my thoughts. Gus: I don’t know how to do that. Shawn: Yes you do. Ready? Gus: Fine … Both: Waffles! Shawn: My god, that’s crazy. That’s exactly what I was thinking.” – Psych
- This waffle is some kind of wonderful!
- “And yes, every diner claims their waffles are the best waffles in the world. But somewhere, in some town, there really are the best waffles – so rich, and so gold-brown, and so delicious that anyone tasted them would decide never to leave that town. Somewhere, those waffles exist. Why can’t it be here?” – Leslie Knope, Parks and Rec
- Woofles are wagging good!
- “And in the morning, I’m making waffles!” – Donkey, Shrek, 2001
- I love you a waffle lot!
- “There has never been a sadness that can’t be cured by breakfast food.” – Ron Swanson, Parks and Rec
- I like hashtags cause they look like waffles
- “You’re better than waffles, Matthias Helvar.” A small smile curled the Fjerdan’s lips. “Let’s not say things we don’t mean, my love.” – Leigh Bardugo
- Waffles are pancakes with abs
- “I’ve waffled before. I’ll waffle again.” – Howard Dean
- “Why can’t I just eat my waffle?” – Barack Obama
- “We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.” – Leslie Knope, Parks and Rec
- Weekends are for waffles
- “It’s never too late for waffles, and it’s never too early for pizza.” – Bliss
Happy Waffle Day to you and your fellow breakfast-loving pals! We hope you’re able to harness some real enjoyment, relaxation, and delicious treats this Waffle Day.
Make your year even more fun and have lots to look forward to by checking out our list of Obscure Holidays!