Losing someone who has passed away is always difficult to process. What to write in a sympathy card is a question we all have as we mourn the loss of someone close to us. It is also difficult to write sympathy card messages for someone you are not close to, and we hope some of the messages below may help guide you on writing sayings for sympathy cards and letters.
In this article
Sympathy card messages
- In this time of grief, please know that the hearts and prayers your friends and family are with you.
- The loss of a beautiful soul leaves a trail of beautiful memories for us all to look upon fondly in remembrance.
- I’m truly sorry for your loss, and am here for you whenever you need me.
- There are no words that can mend the heartache, but those who love you offer comfort and peace of mind in your time of need.
- May God provide you the peace that you seek during this difficult time.
- Please accept our condolences and don’t hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything at all that you need.
- May her soul rest in peace as her journey begins anew in Heaven.
- Prayers for you and your family during this time of sorrow, and warm loving thoughts in remembrance of times past.
- A beautiful soul may leave this earth, but the life once lived carries on in our hearts and memories forever.
- Though we are never prepared for the loss of those we love, the warmth and caring of our friends and family is a comforting rock we may lean on in our time of need.
- We may have lost a wonderful soul here on earth, but the universe received a new beautiful star in the heavens above.
- His love will live in all our hearts forever.
- Wishing you moments of peace, feelings of peace, and memories of joy during this difficult time.
- As we celebrate a wonderful live lived, we wish you comfort in your memories of those special times shared together.
- May you take comfort in knowing there is a new angel above, watching over us.
- Our hearts are heavy, and we grieve alongside you.
- What a great loss to the world. We shall all miss him deeply.
- She was a lovely person who will be deeply missed.
- As you go through this difficult time, remember that you are truly loved by so many.
- My heart goes out to you during this time of sorrow.
- Please know that your friend and family are here for you in your hour of need.
- May God bless his soul as he rests in peace.
- We are saddened to hear of your recent loss. Please accept our deepest sympathies.
- Words cannot express the sorrow we share with you.
- Grief may test our resolve, but our memories give us strength and the love of those around us carries us through even the darkest hours.
How should I sign a sympathy card
The ending salutation on a sympathy card should help express the compassion and understanding you are feeling during this time of grief. You may want to adjust your signatory message based on your relationship with the bereaved individual. Here are several examples of sympathy card signature lines that can work for a variety of relationships.
- Thinking of you always
- With deepest sympathy
- You are in our prayers
- My heartfelt condolences
- With peace and love
- Our hearts are with you
It’s never easy deciding what to write in a sympathy card when someone passes away as Kathy Davis of American Greetings says very well in this lovely blog post. Death is a part of life, and one of the hardest things we go through as human beings. Finding the right message to use on a greeting card when someone dies can be challenging, but we hope these phrases can help you choose a sympathy message that is appropriate for your sympathy card or letter.
See our Sympathy category for additional sympathy sayings for card or letters.